Monday, March 24, 2014

No-Bake Chia Treats

No-Bake Chia Treats

I don’t plan to share many food type recipes, as there are a million bloggers who do so. However, I am sharing these treats because my family loves them and I thought you might too …
 
It’s been so nice to get back in the kitchen again and make healthy meals and treats for my family since giving birth to my handsome wee-man, Connor (To read my birth story, see "Holistic Homebirth For Me!"). Few of you may know this about me, and many are about to find out … I’m not much of a baker. I can do it; I can follow recipes and the stuff turns out good, but it’s not my thing. I prefer cooking and making no-bake treats. As I was making some of our favorites today, I decided that I would share with you!
The treats I’m making today include Chia seeds. Before I proceed, let’s make one thing clear: I do NOT consume or suggest consuming Chia seeds for the purpose of minimizing healthful food intake or meal replacement! One of these treats are just as they suggest, a treat or snack, NOT A MEAL! You need to eat a healthy, colorful, variety of foods and nutrients. The reason I like Chia seeds in these treats are because they do make the snacks more filling so you don’t eat a tub of ice cream afterward… or a whole batch of these in one sitting, because, well, they’re delicious. You’ll be tempted. J  
If you have heard of Chia seeds, or if you haven’t, but you don’t quite know the benefits, here are some:

·         Rich in Omega-3 fatty acids

·         High in fiber

·         Contains antioxidants

·         Rich in minerals – calcium, phosphorus, magnesium, and manganese

·         Satiety; decreases cravings and hunger between meals

·         Gluten-free, for those who are GF

·         Can be digested whole; doesn’t need to be ground like some seeds (ie. flax)

·         Can help maintain hydration (“chia gel”)

·         Some studies have shown links between Chia and improved blood sugar, cholesterol, and blood pressure

The treats. They don’t contain tons of Chia; it’s not even the main ingredient. But it’s one of the three things they have in common. The others being that they’re quick and they’re our favorites!

Better Than LaraBars
Ingredients:

×          1c pitted medjool dates
×          1c raw almonds or cashews
×          1/4c chia seeds
×          1tsp pink Himalayan sea salt
×          2TBSP virgin coconut oil (lets be honest …I don’t actually measure this; 2 beautiful heaping spoons full is more accurate)
×          ½ - 1c of whatever you want (Any dried fruit, coconut, mini chocolate chips, etc. Some of our faves: 3/4c unsweetened coconut flakes = coconut cream pie; 1/2c mini chocolate chips = chocolate chip cookie dough;1/2c unsweetened coconut flakes + 1/4c mini chocolate chips = almond joy; 1/2c dried cherries + 1-2tsp vanilla (I just pour what looks right) = cherry cheesecake; banana chips = banana bread.) Play with this some; mix it up. Make it fun!


Coconut Cream Pie
I know, horrible pic. I'm a Massage Therapist, not a photographer!
Put your pitted dates in the food processor (be sure to pit them, I didn’t the first time … lesson learned). Pulse until you have formed a paste (only about a min or so, depends on the quality of your food processor. Mine is a dinosaur so it takes a little longer). Remove your paste and dump your almonds or cashews (or a combo of the two) in. Pulse until you have bitty nut pieces. Add date paste back in. 
The hard part is done. Dump in your Chia, salt, and coconut oil. Process until it’s all mixed together evenly … or close to it. Add in your “whatever you want” and mix. Dump your mixture into a 9x13 pan lined with parchment paper. Press down with wetted hands or a spatula. Be sure to pack them down tight, otherwise they may fall apart when you cut them. Make sure you save a small pile of the mixture to sample. It’s yummy! Plus, you’re the chef, you get to sample. J
Pop them in the fridge for 2+ hours to set. After they’ve set, cut them into whatever size bars you want (we get 18 but you could get 24 if you want them a little smaller). I wish I could tell you how long they last or are good for, but ours never last that long. If yours make it long enough to go bad, please share, but I doubt that will ever happen.

Next up …

Nutritious No-Bake Balls
Ingredients:

×          1c rolled oats
×          1/3c unsweetened coconut flakes
×          1/2c nut butter (we use Organic SunButter)
×          1/4c chia seed
×          1/3c ground flax seed
×          1/3c raw honey (another one of those things I don’t actually measure)
×          1tsp vanilla
×          1/2c mini chocolate chips (we use EnjoyLife brand to avoid allergens) or whatever you want (another one of those fun parts of my recipes. Play with this; nuts, chocolates, dried fruits … make it your own!)

 
Nutritious No-Bake Balls
 

Everyone in the mixing bowl! Stir, stir, stir … I find a fork or your hands to be best for this. Once you have mixed it all together evenly, take a bite. Again, you’re the chef, it’s your right! Place the bowl of goodness in the fridge for at least an hour.

Time to make balls! Pull your mixture from the fridge and roll into balls, about 1” is good … unless you like them bigger. They’re your treats, who am I to tell you what size they should be. Enjoy! Just like with the bars, I have no idea what the shelf life for these are. Sorry.


If you have any specific questions or topics you would like to read about, please share on my Facebook page or email me. Together we can “Relax your body, Refresh your mind, Rejuvenate your life!”

No comments:

Post a Comment